When properly cared for, your down jacket can last for years and washing it regularly will prolong its life and keep you warmer!
DO's & DON'TS
Machine Washing Your Down Jacket
- Simply pop your jacket in the washing machine-wash it on a gentle cycle at roughly 30 degrees °C, select the ‘extra rinse’ option if available and use a mild detergent ensuring it has no fluorescing agents. Skip the spin cycle! It is better for your jacket to drip dry and/or use a tumble dryer.
Hand-Washing Your Down Jacket
- Soak your down jacket for up to 60 minutes in a sink. Again, go for a mild detergent ensuring it has no fluorescing agents.
- Rinse by lightly squeezing out excess water (don’t wring it!) and follow the drying steps below.
Drying Your Down Jacket
- Once washed lay it flat to dry on a clothing rack. As you do this, gently fluff up the down. Down takes a long time to dry so this may take over 24 hours. If you don’t want to wait this long you can skip this and put it straight into the dryer on a low heat.
- When the down jacket is almost dry, put it in the tumble dryer on a low heat with two or three tennis balls. This will help fluff up your down jacket returning it to its original loft.
What You Should AVOID When Washing Your Down Jacket
- Do not Use or store your down jacket while it’s wet. This will make your jacket smelly! Ensure your jacket is 100% dry before you put it away or wear it again.
- Do not use Fabric softener. Stick to a down-specific or mild detergent with no fluorescing agents for the best results.
- Do no Wring. Don’t wring your down jacket, no matter how heavy it is. If you must, gently shake any excess water off while supporting its weight
- Do not dry clean. The solvents they use in the dry cleaning process can damage your jacket.
- Do not use A top-loader with an agitator. It’s a rougher wash, and your down jacket is delicate.
- Do not put it on a spin cycle.